DIY: Dipped Leg Highchair

Tuesday, November 18, 2014



Hello! Can I tell you I am so excited about this post? 

It will be my first DIY/Decorating post. I have many passions and if you know me at all, you know decorating is one of them.

Being that I am a Mom of three boys, I have been working hard to make sure I keep my priorities straight. Meaning, that I have to try and sneak in my decorating projects here and there, when time allows. I am thrilled to have stolen away a few minutes over the weekend to complete my newest project.

So, with out further introduction...



Our Gold Dipped Leg Highchair!

Here is the before:



You can almost bet that there is at least one unfinished project lurking in my house. 

I bought the Highchair at a garage sale for $5! Not long after I bought it I threw a yellow and grey shower for a close friend of mine. Hence, the yellow paint. I used the Highchair as the cake stand....really wishing I had a photo of that to show you!

So because I am lazy the Highchair was a matte color, I chose not to sand. I picked an emerald green color, I was wanting a "boyish" color that would look bright and beautiful against the navy cabinet, which I will post when it is completed.



I used Krylon in Emerald Green in Gloss. I sprayed many thin coats using two and a half cans, allowing each coat to dry completely.
Spray paint can be a wonderful thing when used correctly!! 

After about four coats of green, I chose how high up the legs I wanted my gold paint to go. Using  Krylon 18ct. Gold spray paint I began spraying the bottom of each leg. I had not taped anything off yet, I was just careful to completely cover the bottom three baubles.  Once the bottom of each leg was completely coated and thoroughly dry, I wrapped the bottom of each leg with painters tape, covering the gold completely.



Once the gold was safely covered, I just had to retouch the nearby green, making sure there was no over spray left to be seen.
I went over the whole chair once more in the green, making sure I had even coverage.



I wanted Benjamin to actually be able to use his Highchair, safely. So I researched. After much research I decided to coat the chair in polyurethane to protect Benjamin while he eats. So carefully following directions I used MINWAX Fast Drying Polyurethane in clear gloss
For this to be considered "food safe" you need to not only allow your surface to dry completely, but cure as well. I read that once completely dried and cured your surface is safe. How do you know if it's cured? Take a big whiff close to the surface, if you smell nothing it is ready. If you smell an odor it is not yet ready to be used. 

* Painting your baby's Highchair may not for everyone, don't do it if you don't feel comfortable with it. We have been eating off an antique farm table sealed in polyurethane for years and feel that it is very safe. You do what you think is best for you and your family.*

Speaking of family...I think it's time we see what Benjamin thinks of his new chair.


I think he likes it! ;)





Baby overload, sorry, can you blame me??









So there you have it!
A DIY Gold Dipped Highchair!
I am very happy with the results, love the color, love the legs, and love the high gloss.

What do you think? What's your favorite way to use spray paint?




Much Love,
Stefani 

Post a Comment

The Adventures of the Fichtel Five © // QUINN CREATIVEs