Healing and Humbled

Friday, May 23, 2014



I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
~Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)

There is a lot of pressure out there to be SuperWoman or SuperMom. Everyone is aware of it, some women have even written books about it. 
So why do we still feel pressured? 



I'm not asking the question, because I have the answer to it. I don't think there is one answer, and I imagine everyone has a different answer. Maybe you feel pressure from others to do exceedingly well, maybe you spend too much time comparing yourself to others (*ahem* Pinterest), or maybe you are just trying your damndest to do your absolute best for your family just because you love them so. Maybe you really do want to give them your all, everything you've got, to ensure that they will know with out a doubt that they are loved, that they have your support, and that they have a fan in you.

In case you haven't already deduced, I am the latter. I just truly have the desire to work myself silly so that when I go to bed at night, I know I've given it my all. Given them my all. I am not searching for my purpose, I've found it. There is a reason God has given me my boys. All four of them. He chose me for them, and them for me. I plan to honor that choice til my last breath. 

But, (There's always a "but") I have learned a valuable lesson in the last few months, more specifically in the last few weeks. I've been sick. Very sick. Like ER-twice-in-one-week pneumonia and meningitis sick. Not only have I not been able to "do it all" I have not been able to do ANY OF IT. No making breakfast and getting Bode off to school. No tying shoes and giving bubble baths. No reading stories and tucking goodnight. No welcoming my hubby home at the front door or late night cuddles. Have you ever been in your own home and still missed your family? 

Why is asking for help so dang hard? And wouldn't be easier if we were all more honest and willing to share about those hard days? I don't know about you but I find it much more pleasant and encouraging to spend time with another mom who is willing to share her mommy mishaps than someone who is not. Maybe it is just me. 

I have come to a realization, I feel very strongly that this "setback" in my health has been God's way of humbling me. It is humbling to let others watch your children for you when you can't. It is humbling to let others make meals for your family because you can not. It is humbling to have your mother clean your home for you, when you are an adult.

The silver lining?
 God has freed me, freed me from a world of "doing it all."
I can now say "I can't." 
Ahh. Sweet relief. 



Ironically, you go thru childhood with people telling you that "I can't" is not ok. Then you spend half of your adulthood ashamed of the moments when you truly "can't" and learning how to ask for help. We should be teaching our children that it is ok and even admirable to ask for help.

Don't get me wrong, I still very strongly believe that "I can do all things thru Christ." I just don't believe that He is asking me to "do all things." The Lord isn't going to give us more than we can handle. He isn't going to ask for more than we can give. He knows fully well what we are capable of, and knows that we are far more capable with His help. And that is what He wants, He wants us to Ask Him For Help, daily. He has already offered his help, it's there for the taking, we've just got to ask.

I have a new perspective on "doing it all." I am a woman of strong work ethic. I believe in good, strong, hard work.



 I will still work myself silly for the benefit of my family and to honor my Lord...
but I won't be doing it alone.

2 comments

  1. Your a great mother and those four boys are so very lucky to have you in their life's. I believe your the closest thing to super mom, I know God has a Plan, and it is great . Watching it come toghether wil be exciting. Love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And sometimes a mother receives an unexpected Blessing when she is ask to come help. Yes! There is still a glimpse of the little girl who needs me in there. When the task seems insurmountable don't be afraid to ask for help, God maybe using you to bring a needed blessing into the life of someone else. Thanks for being my Blessing. Mom.

    ReplyDelete

The Adventures of the Fichtel Five © // QUINN CREATIVEs